Current Watches and Warnings
California, Santa Ynez Valley
Statement as of 7:26 PM PDT on April 24, 2014
Expires 9:00 AM EDT on April 25, 2014
... Cold weather system to bring showers and gusty winds to the area
Friday afternoon into Saturday...
A cold late season weather system will bring a chance of showers and
mountain snow showers along with widespread gusty winds to
southwestern California from late Friday into Saturday.
Scattered showers are expected to develop over San Luis Obispo and
Santa Barbara counties by Friday afternoon then spread quickly into
Ventura and Los Angeles counties Friday evening. This will be a
quick moving weather system with the showers ending across much of
the area by daybreak Saturday... although some lingering rain and
snow showers can be expected in the mountains of Ventura and Los
Angeles counties through late Saturday morning. Rainfall amounts
with this system will be light overall... with 0.15 inch or less for
most of the coast and valleys... and generally a tenth to one third
of an inch for for the mountains... although isolated amounts up to
one half inch will be possible on southwest to west facing slopes.
Snow levels should be around 7500 feet Friday evening then fall to
4500 to 5000 feet late Friday night and Saturday morning... with up
to an inch of snow accumulation possible around 5000 feet. At the
higher elevations above 6000 feet... 1 to 3 inches of snow will be
possible. People planning to travel into the mountains especially
over the higher elevations from Friday night into Saturday morning
should be prepared for winter weather driving conditions.
This weather system will also produce gusty winds over much of
southwestern California Friday afternoon through Saturday. West
winds with gusts up to 45 to 50 mph will be possible in the Antelope
Valley Friday afternoon and evening. West to northwest winds with
gusts up to 50 mph can be expected at times in the mountains of
Ventura and Los Angeles counties for Friday night through Saturday
night. Coastal areas should have winds increasing Friday evening
with gusts up to 30 mph... then winds will likely increase further
Saturday afternoon through Saturday evening with gusts of 35 to 40
mph possible. Gusty winds will also affect the Santa Barbara County
mountains and South Coast with gusts of 35 to 40 mph expected at
times from Friday evening to Saturday evening. Wind advisories will
likely be needed for these areas as we draw closer to the event.
Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio or local media outlets for the
latest information on this upcoming late season weather event.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:03 PM PDT on April 24, 2014
... Significant wind gusts since 303 PM PDT Thursday...
Los Angeles County peak wind gust
del Valle... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... west 32 mph.
Poppy Park... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..West 31 mph.
Santa Barbara County peak wind gust
Santa Maria... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .northwest 35 mph.
Vandenberg... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..Northwest 34 mph.
San Luis Obispo County peak wind gust
San Luis Obispo... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... northwest 33 mph.
Port San Luis... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..west 31 mph.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arkansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Idaho - Special Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Maine - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Mississippi - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Special Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Special Statement
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Fire Weather Warning
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Freeze Warning
- New Mexico - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Flood Warning , Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- North Carolina - Flood Advisory
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oregon - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Freeze Warning , Record Report
- Rhode Island - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Texas - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch
- Utah - Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Vermont - Flood Warning
- Washington - Areal Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement