Current Watches and Warnings
California, Santa Monica Mountains Recreational Area
Statement as of 8:14 PM PDT on October 01, 2014
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on October 02, 2014
... Wind Advisory in effect from midnight tonight to 3 PM PDT
The National Weather Service in Los Angeles/Oxnard has issued a
Wind Advisory for Los Angeles and Ventura County mountains. This
advisory is in effect from midnight tonight to 3 PM PDT Thursday
and includes the Santa Monica mountain range.
* Winds... northeast to east winds will increase to 15 to 30 mph
with gusts up to 45 mph after midnight tonight... then continue
through late Thursday afternoon.
* Impacts... gusty winds will make driving difficult... especially
for drivers of high profile vehicles.
When driving... use extra caution. Be prepared for sudden gusty
Statement as of 8:22 PM PDT on October 01, 2014
Expires 12:00 PM EDT on October 02, 2014
... Hot... dry and breezy with elevated fire danger across southwest
California tonight through Sunday...
An upper level ridge of high pressure will continue to build over
the region..bringing a significant warming and drying trend to
southwest California that will persist through the weekend. Weak
to moderate offshore winds are expected to develop over the Los
Angeles and Ventura County mountains and valleys tonight into
Thursday... and lighter offshore winds will persist through Friday.
Afternoon high temperatures will rise into the 80s to mid 90s
across the coast and valleys by Thursday... and to around 90 to
the lower 100s by Friday. The heat is expected to peak on Saturday
with valley highs ranging between 100 to 106 degrees. Overnight lows
are expected to remain rather warm... in the mid 60s to near 70 across
the elevated wind-prone valleys and Lower Mountain elevations.
Offshore winds are expected to peak Thursday morning across Los
Angeles and Ventura counties with northeast gusts up to 35 mph in
the valleys and up to 45 mph in the mountains... locally to 50 mph
across the Santa Monica Mountains above Point Mugu. A drying air
mass is expected across all of southwest California with relative
humidities falling into the lower teens by Thursday and into the
single digits away from the coast Friday through Sunday.
The combination of rising temperatures... low humidity and offshore
winds in combination with critically dry vegetation will bring
elevated fire danger to much of southwest California late tonight
through this weekend. The highest fire danger is expected across
the Los Angeles and Ventura County mountains and valleys where the
strongest northeast winds are likely to occur. (See laxrfwlox for
details). Strong winds and drying may reach coastal areas Thursday
Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch
Statement as of 8:19 PM PDT on October 01, 2014
Expires 10:00 PM EDT on October 03, 2014
... Red flag warning remains in effect from midnight tonight to
6 PM PDT Thursday for gusty offshore winds and very low relative
... Fire Weather Watch remains in effect from Thursday evening
through Friday evening for gusty offshore winds and very low
* winds... areas of northeast winds 15 to 30 mph with gusts up to
45 mph are expected later tonight through Thursday. Northeast
winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph are possible Thursday
night through Friday.
* Relative humidity... daily minimum humidities between 4 and 10
percent are expected Thursday through at least Friday... with
very poor overnight recoveries between 10 and 20 percent.
Driest on Friday.
* Temperatures... daily maximum temperatures in mid 70s to mid
80s on Thursday... rising to the mid 80s to mid 90s on Friday.
* Impacts... with extremely dry fuels in place... if fire ignition
occurs there could be rapid spread of wildfire that would lead
to a threat to life and property.
A Fire Weather Watch means that critical fire weather conditions
are forecast to occur. Please advise the appropriate officials or
fire crews in the field of this Fire Weather Watch. Listen for
later forecasts and possible red flag warnings.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now... or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures will
create extreme fire behavior. Please advise the appropriate
officials or fire crews in the field of this red flag warning.
- Alaska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Public Information Statement
- California - Wind Advisory , Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning, Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Heat Advisory , Wind Advisory, Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , High Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Frost Advisory
- Illinois - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- Iowa - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Mississippi - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Nevada - Freeze Warning , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Record Report
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Ohio - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Special Statement
- Oregon - Freeze Warning , Freeze Warning, Frost Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Utah - Freeze Warning
- Virginia - Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Dense Fog Advisory