Current Watches and Warnings
California, Orange County Coastal
Wind Advisory, Excessive Heat Warning
Statement as of 12:37 PM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 11:00 PM EDT on October 24, 2017
... Wind Advisory in effect from midnight tonight to 2 PM PDT
... Excessive heat warning remains in effect from 10 am Monday to
8 PM PDT Tuesday...
The National Weather Service in San Diego has issued a Wind
Advisory... which is in effect from midnight tonight to 2 PM PDT
* Temperature... highs from 98 to 106 for inland Orange County and
the western inland Empire and the western valleys in San Diego
County. The heat will likely reach all the way to the coast
where highs will range from the mid 80s to the mid 90s. A few
beach communities in Orange County may exceed 95 degrees
* Impacts... heat related illness is likely for those involved in
strenuous outdoor activity, or those with health conditions
that do not have adequate access to air conditioning. If
untreated, heat illness events could be fatal. Never leave
children or pets inside a parked car!
* Outlook... not quite as hot on Wednesday with greater cooling
for Thursday and Friday.
* Winds... northeast winds increasing to 20 to 30 mph with gusts of
50 mph tonight and Monday in the mountain passes, foothills and
sections of the inland Empire. Strongest winds Monday night and
Tuesday with 25 to 35 mph winds gusting to 60 mph. In coastal
Orange County, 15 to 25 mph winds with gusts to 40 mph are
possible Tuesday. Lighter winds Wednesday.
* Impacts... hazardous travel for high profile vehicles. Small tree
limbs may be broken. Downed Palm fronds.
* Outlook... lighter winds and cooler weather Thursday and Friday.
An excessive heat warning means that a prolonged period of
dangerously hot temperatures will occur. The combination of hot
temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous
situation in which heat illnesses are likely. Drink plenty of
fluids... stay in an air-conditioned room... stay out of the sun...
and check up on relatives and neighbors.
A Wind Advisory means that winds of 35 mph are expected. Winds
this strong can make driving difficult... especially for high
profile vehicles. Use extra caution.
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 1:35 PM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 10:00 PM EDT on October 22, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect until 7 PM PDT this
* waves and surf... 3 to 6 ft through this afternoon.
* Timing... a west-northwest swell will continue to bring elevated
surf and strong rip currents through this afternoon.
* Impacts... increased risk of ocean drowning from elevated surf
and strong rip currents. Rip currents can pull swimmers and
surfers out to sea. Large breaking waves can wash people off
jetties and rocks... and capsize small boats near shore.
Swim near a lifeguard. If caught in a rip current, relax and
float. Don't swim against the current. If able, swim in a
direction following the shoreline. If unable to escape, face the
shore and call or wave for help.
Fire Weather Warning
Statement as of 12:08 PM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on October 25, 2017
... Red flag warning now in effect until 6 PM PDT Wednesday for
strong gusty winds and low humidity...
* wind... through early evening... areas of northeast winds 15 to 25
mph with gusts to 35 mph near coastal foothills and below passes
and canyons. Winds strengthening late tonight into Monday with
20 to 30 mph with gusts of 50 mph. Strongest winds Monday night
and Tuesday of 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 to 60 mph with
isolated gusts to 65 mph. Not quite as windy Wednesday.
* Humidity... lowest humidity around 5 percent Monday and Tuesday
with poorest overnight recovery in the windier areas near the
* Timing... through Wednesday. The most extreme combination of low
humidity... stronger and more widespread winds... and heat on
Monday and Tuesday.
* Outlook... for Wednesday lowest humidity of 5 to 10 percent with
northeast winds gusting to 45 mph will continue critical fire
weather conditions. Cooler Thursday and Friday.
* Impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly...
especially Monday and Tuesday. Outdoor burning is not
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now... .or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures can
contribute to extreme fire behavior.
- Alabama - Areal Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - High Wind Watch , Special Statement
- California - Excessive Heat Warning, Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory, Excessive Heat Warning , Excessive Heat Warning , Excessive Heat Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Areal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Guam - High Surf Warning, High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Flash Flood Watch , High Wind Watch
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Illinois -
- Indiana -
- Iowa - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Kansas - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts -
- Michigan - Areal Flood Watch , Record Report
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - High Wind Warning , High Wind Warning, Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Nebraska - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada -
- New Mexico -
- New York -
- North Carolina -
- North Dakota - High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory
- Ohio -
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania -
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Warning
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning
- Tennessee - Wind Advisory
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , High Wind Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Virginia -
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement