Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, West Jackson and West Grand Counties Above 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on September 01, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
1 in 1951... large hail pounded Boulder... causing thousands of
dollars in damage to roofs and automobiles. Heavy
thunderstorm rainfall flooded basements and produced
widespread street flooding.
In 1966... severe thunderstorms caused local flooding in areas
from Denver to the north and east. There was scattered
damage from hail and lightning. Streets were flooded in
Boulder... and streets and basements were flooded in several
areas of Metro Denver. The public reported 1 inch
diameter hail in Aurora and near Cherry Creek Reservoir.
Thunderstorm rainfall totaled only 0.39 inch at Stapleton
In 1985... severe thunderstorms dumped heavy rain and hail at
many locations along the Front Range from Denver south.
The southern and eastern suburbs of Metro Denver were
especially hard hit. Rainfall from 1 1/2 to 3 inches
caused extensive street flooding in Aurora where Two
Creeks rose out of their banks. Two homes in the city
suffered minor lightning damage. Almost 4 inches of rain
fell in the Parker area. Hail up to ping-pong Ball size
piled up to a foot deep and closed a Road in Evergreen.
Hail as large as 1 3/4 inches in diameter was reported
8 miles northeast of Deckers. Wind gusts to 65 mph were
estimated in southeast Aurora.
In 1990... Marble size hail piled up to 2 inches deep in the
foothills community of Kittredge... 18 miles southwest of
Denver. As much as half an inch of rain fell in just 15
minutes and caused minor Road and small stream flooding.
A thunderstorm dropped pea to Marble size hail and brief
heavy rain near Ward Road and 64th Avenue in Arvada.
Minor street and small stream flooding was reported in
In 1995... a strong thunderstorm microburst with only a few
drops of rain produced a recorded wind gust to 85 mph at
the site of the former Stapleton International Airport.
The wind gust occurred at 8:30 PM MDT. The all-time
highest recorded temperature in September... 97 degrees...
occurred. The same temperature also occurred on
September 5... 1899... September 4... 1960... and September 4...
1-5 in 1995... record breaking heat occurred on the first 5 days
of the month when the temperature climbed into the 90's
on each day. Record high temperatures of 97 degrees on
both the 1st and 4th equaled the all-time record maximum
for the month. High temperature of 95 degrees on the 3rd
was a record for the date. High temperatures of 94 degrees
on both the 2nd and the 5th were not records. The low
temperature of 64 degrees on the 4th equaled the record
high minimum for the date.
1-7 in 1978... the temperature reached 90 degrees or more on seven
consecutive days with the highest temperature... 94 degrees...
recorded on both the 4th and 6th.
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory , Freeze Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arizona - Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Air Quality Alert
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Warning , Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Areal Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Maine - Record Report
- Maryland - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Fire Weather Watch
- New Jersey - Air Quality Alert
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Virginia - Air Quality Alert
- Washington - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning