Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, South and Southeast Grand/West Central and Southwest Boulder/Gilpin/Clear Creek/Summit/North and West Park Counties Above 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on September 05, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
1-5 in 1995... record breaking heat occurred on the first 5 days
of the month when the temperature climbed into the 90's
on each day. Record high temperatures of 97 degrees on
both the 1st and 4th equaled the all-time record maximum
for the month. High temperature of 95 degrees on the 3rd
was a record for the date. High temperatures of 94 degrees
on both the 2nd and the 5th were not records. The low
temperature of 64 degrees on the 4th equaled the record
high minimum for the date.
1-7 in 1978... the temperature reached 90 degrees or more on seven
consecutive days with the highest temperature... 94 degrees...
recorded on both the 4th and 6th.
3-6 in 1909... rainfall for the 4 days accumulated to 3.97 inches
in Boulder... while in Denver rainfall totaled 2.45 inches
on the 4th... 5th... and 6th.
5 in 1899... the highest recorded temperature in September... 97
degrees... occurred. The same temperature was also reached on
September 4... 1960... and September 1 and 4... 1995.
In 1940... a severe wind and hail storm confined mostly to the
west and north parts of the city occurred shortly after
4:30 PM. Hail stones ranged in size from 1/4 to 1/2 inch
in diameter. In north Denver... hail piled to a depth of
4 inches. Flooding occurred in one underpass... which
stalled 2 cars. One girl was injured when the weight
of the hail flattened a porch on which she stood.
Northeast winds were sustained to 29 mph with gusts to
32 mph in downtown Denver.
In 1987... a thunderstorm complex produced hail as large as
1 3/8 inches in diameter... 2 miles east of Buckley field in
Aurora. No damage was reported.
5-9 in 1988... layers of smoke aloft from large Forest fires in
Yellowstone National Park completely obliterated the sun
at times. At Stapleton International Airport... surface
visibility was reduced at times to 5 and 6 miles in smoke.
5-13 in 2010... the Fourmile Canyon wildfire... northwest of Boulder...
broke out on the morning of the 5th. It originated from
an unattended fire pit at a local residence. The wildfire
quickly consumed 5 1/2 square miles or 3500 acres the
first day... and forced the evacuation of over three
thousand residents. Erratic 45-mph gusts sent the fire in
two directions at times. Very dry weather conditions
preceded the fire. The combination of strong winds... low
relative humidities and dry fuels allowed the wildfire
spread rapidly through the steep... heavily forested terrain.
The flames were reportedly 20 to 50 feet in length. Towns
within the burn area included Salina... Wallstreet and Gold
Hill. The dry conditions coupled with gusty winds ranging
from 45 to 64 mph persisted for several more days. Fire
managers used as many as 700 firefighters and support
personnel from 35 agencies and seven air tankers to battle
the wildfire. A total of 6181 square acres or
approximately 10 square miles were burned. The Fourmile
Canyon wildfire was the most destructive fire in Colorado
history in terms of the damage to personal property. It
destroyed 171 homes with an estimated cost of 217 million
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Frost Advisory, Freeze Watch , Frost Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report
- Delaware - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Hawaii - Flash Flood Watch, High Surf Advisory , Flash Flood Watch, High Surf Warning , Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory , High Surf Warning , Record Report
- Idaho - Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Kansas - Record Report
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert
- Maryland - Record Report
- Michigan - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Montana - Winter Weather Advisory
- Nebraska - Record Report
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Freeze Watch , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- New York - Record Report
- Oregon - Flash Flood Watch , Frost Advisory, Freeze Watch , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Utah - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement