Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Southeast Elbert County Below 6000 Feet/South Lincoln County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on August 22, 2014
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
19-30 in 1875... grasshoppers appeared in great numbers at 10:00 am
on the 19th. Thousands landed on the ground. The streets
were literally covered with them. Swarms of grasshoppers
were seen on each day. All gardens in the city were
devastated... and in the Countryside the grasshoppers were
very destructive to ripened grain. On the 30th the
grasshoppers were so numerous as to almost darken the sun.
22 in 1898... an apparent thunderstorm produced southwest
sustained winds to 40 mph with gusts to 43 mph.
In 1903... a late afternoon thunderstorm produced rain... hail...
and east winds sustained to 40 mph with gusts to 44 mph.
In 1904... the lowest recorded temperature in August... 40
degrees... occurred. The same temperature also occurred on
three consecutive days... August 24... 25... and 26 in 1910.
In 1965... heavy rain and hail caused some damage from flooding
over northern Douglas County from Castle Rock to Franktown.
In 1981... thunderstorms moved across Metro Denver. At least
5 funnel cloud sightings were reported. Funnel clouds
were seen at 96th Ave. And Sheridan Blvd. And at 92nd Ave.
And federal Blvd. In Westminster and 7 miles north of
Stapleton International Airport. Lightning injured two
people in Boulder. A quarter inch of rain fell in just
5 minutes in Brighton. Up to 3/4 inch of rain doused
Parker in 30 minutes.
In 1983... 3/4 inch diameter hail was reported at Kittredge...
along with 0.60 inch of rain in 25 minutes.
In 1984... a thunderstorm dumped 4 inches of rain on Brighton
in 90 minutes... causing extensive street flooding in the
In 1987... over an inch of rain fell in 24 hours throughout
most of Metro Denver. A public Library suffered water
damage to the ceiling... carpet... and a few books. Rainfall
was 0.76 inch at Stapleton International Airport.
In 1990... lightning knocked out power to about 2500 homes in
Lakewood for about an hour.
In 1991... National Weather Service personnel at Stapleton
International Airport sighted an apparent tornado briefly
on the ground 3 miles west-northwest of the Airport. No
damage was reported.
In 1995... lightning struck 3 electrical power substations in
Louisville. Residences of more than 4500 people were
without power from 30 minutes to more than an hour.
In 1996... between 1 and 3 inches of rain fell across Metro
Denver. As a result... several low lying areas were flooded.
A bicyclist was swept into a fast moving creek when he
tried to cross a flooded bike path. The man was washed
downstream about 15 feet before getting snagged by a tree
stump. He and a man who tried to Rescue him received
minor injuries. The heavy rain caused numerous power
outages... false fire alarms... and traffic accidents. In
Lakewood... telephone service to around 60 thousand
residents was knocked out when a switching center was
flooded. Funnel clouds were sighted near Chatfield
Reservoir and Highlands Ranch.
In 2000... lightning sparked a blaze which gutted a 10-unit
apartment building in Highlands Ranch. Twenty-eight
people were left homeless. Damage was estimated at
2 million dollars.
In 2007... severe thunderstorms produced large hail... up to
1 1/4 inches in diameter... in the vicinities of Castle Rock...
Elizabeth and Franktown.
22-24 in 1987... some locations in Metro Denver had a total 3-day
rainfall of 2 to 4 inches. Rainfall totaled 0.96 inch
at Stapleton International Airport.
- Alabama - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Special Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory, Beach Hazard Statement , Lake Wind Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Record Report
- Florida - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning, Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Areal Flood Watch
- Illinois - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Indiana - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flash Flood Watch , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory
- Maryland - Record Report
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Dense Fog Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Missouri - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Montana - Areal Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Jersey - Special Statement , Record Report
- New York - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Special Statement , Record Report
- Puerto Rico - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virgin Islands - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Washington - Flash Flood Watch
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement