Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Washington County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on August 26, 2016
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
19-30 in 1875... grasshoppers appeared in great numbers at 10:00 am
on the 19th. Thousands landed on the ground. The streets
were literally covered with them. Swarms of grasshoppers
were seen on each day. All gardens in the city were
devastated... and in the Countryside the grasshoppers were
very destructive to ripened grain. On the 30th the
grasshoppers were so numerous as to almost darken the sun.
24-26 in 1910... the lowest temperature ever recorded in August... 40
degrees... occurred on each of these days and on August 22...
1904. The unusually cold weather for so early in the
season brought sub-freezing minimum temperatures to much
of the Colorado northeastern plains.
26 in 1944... one of the most destructive hailstorms in the city
in a decade caused damage estimated at nearly one million
dollars. The storm occurred within a period of 10 to 30
minutes... between 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM. The hail varied in
size from very small to as large as 1 1/2 inches in
diameter. Hail covered the ground to a depth of 5 to 6
inches in some sections of the city. Several people were
cut by broken glass. The hail and heavy rain flooded
underpasses to a depth of 6 feet... and the occupants of
stalled autos had to be rescued. Sewers were unable to
handle the sudden amount of water and water backed up
and flooded a number of basements. A few first floors of
buildings were flooded. The water department had a busy
time replacing manhole covers that had been displaced by
the water pressure. Trees were stripped... one was severely
broken... and telephone lines were downed. Roofs... windows...
automobiles... awnings... and gardens were severely damaged.
Flowers and gardens in some sections of the city were a
total loss. Greenhouses were extensively broken with an
estimated 20 carloads of glass shattered. Vegetable and
truck crops in and around the city were severely shredded.
The next day the American Red Cross was designated by the
War agency to Grant any and all priorities needed to obtain
materials and supplies to replace and repair the damage.
In downtown Denver... the thunderstorm produced 0.95 inch of
rain and heavy hail along with sustained northwest winds to
In 1961... strong winds blew in the walls of a warehouse under
construction in Denver. Two workmen suffered a fractured
foot and body bruises.
In 2014... two men in central Denver were struck by lightning as
they Sat under a tree to avoid a heavy downpour. One of the
men was unconscious and had no pulse when emergency
responders arrived. He was immediately taken to Denver
health was listed in critical condition. The other victim
suffered less severe injuries. He was treated at the scene
and hospitalized... then released a few hours later.
26-27 in 1980... two heavy thunderstorms hit Arvada and Westminster...
dumping up to 1.50 inches of rain in less than an hour.
At least two streets were washed out and a number of homes
and cars were damaged when a creek flooded. Three homes
in Arvada sustained minor lightning damage.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- California - Air Quality Alert
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Idaho - Fire Weather Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Warning
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Areal Flood Warning
- Montana - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Air Quality Alert
- New York - Record Report
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Virginia - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement