Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Phillips County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on August 24, 2016
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
19-30 in 1875... grasshoppers appeared in great numbers at 10:00 am
on the 19th. Thousands landed on the ground. The streets
were literally covered with them. Swarms of grasshoppers
were seen on each day. All gardens in the city were
devastated... and in the Countryside the grasshoppers were
very destructive to ripened grain. On the 30th the
grasshoppers were so numerous as to almost darken the sun.
22-24 in 1987... some locations in Metro Denver had a total 3-day
rainfall of 2 to 4 inches. Rainfall totaled 0.96 inch
at Stapleton International Airport.
24 in 1880... a thunderstorm produced vivid lightning and heavy
rainfall... which caused flooding over the eastern part of
the city including the brick yards. There was no rainfall
recorded in downtown Denver.
In 1910... an apparent dry cold front caused a remarkable drop
in temperature. From 3:00 PM until midnight the temperature
fell from a high of 93 degrees to a low of 40 degrees.
Northeast winds were sustained to 44 mph during the late
In 1946... heavy rain near Idledale caused flooding on Bear
Creek at Morrison... which resulted in one death when a
woman was swept from her stranded car and drowned.
In 1973... strong winds blew down a few power lines and hail up
to 3/4 inch diameter fell in southeast Aurora.
In 1984... heavy rain hit the south Denver area. Over an inch
fell in less than an hour at both Castle Rock and Sedalia.
In 1992... heavy rains caused flash flooding across parts of
Metro Denver. Rainfall amounts of 1 to 3 inches fell with
the hardest hit areas being the southwest and central parts
of Metro Denver. Bear Creek rose above bankfull near
Idledale with flood waters moving into southwest Metro
Denver. Mud and rock slides along Colorado Highway 74 west
of Morrison were reported. The confluence of Cherry Creek
and the South Platte river in downtown Denver also went out
of its banks... flooding bike paths. Rainfall totaled 1.98
inches at Stapleton International Airport where light to
moderate rain fell most of the day. Heavy rain and fog
briefly reduced the surface visibility to 1 1/2 miles. The
temperature climbed to a high of only 58 degrees... which was
a record low maximum for the date.
In 2002... hail to 7/8 inch in diameter was measured in
In 2008... several landspout tornadoes developed along a boundary
to the southeast of the Denver metropolitan area during the
democratic National convention. In northwest Elbert County...
minor damage was reported. The damage consisted of downed
power lines... broken windows and an out building. Severe
thunderstorms also produced very heavy rain and large hail...
up to one inch in diameter. In southwest Douglas County...
heavy rain caused flash flooding near the town of Westcreek.
A mudslide closed State Highway 67. The Road in the YMCA Camp
Shady Brook was also washed out and some bridges were damaged.
24-26 in 1910... the lowest temperature ever recorded in August... 40
degrees... occurred on each of these days and on August 22...
1904. The unusually cold weather for so early in the
season brought sub-freezing minimum temperatures to much
of the Colorado northeastern plains.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory
- Missouri - Flash Flood Watch
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Flash Flood Watch, Coastal Hazard Statement , Flash Flood Watch
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement