Current Watches and Warnings
Hawaii, South Big Island
High Surf Warning, Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 6:14 PM HST on July 22, 2016
511 PM HST Fri Jul 22 2016
... High surf warning remains in effect until 6 am HST Sunday...
* surf... surf 15 to 25 feet with occasional higher sets along
east facing shores. Surf observations on Friday indicated surf
as high as 20 feet along east and southeast facing shores of The
* Timing... through early Sunday.
* Impacts... very high... expect ocean water surging and sweeping
across beaches... coastal benches... and lava flows creating the
potential for impacts to coastal properties and
infrastructure... including roadways. Powerful longshore and
rip currents will be present at most beaches. Large breaking
waves and strong currents may impact Harbor entrances and
channels causing challenging boat handling.
Large breaking surf... significant shorebreak... and dangerous
currents make entering the water very hazardous. Anyone entering
the water could face significant injury or death.
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect from midnight HST tonight
through Sunday afternoon...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* Kahoolawe... Lanai... Maui... Molokai and The Big Island.
* From midnight HST tonight through Sunday afternoon
* the center of Tropical Storm Darby is now forecast to move
over... or very close to... The Big Island on Saturday... and the
islands of Maui County Saturday night. However... heavy rain
extends well away from the center and excessive rainfall is
expected to begin later tonight on The Big Island and in Maui
County on Saturday.
* In addition to flood prone areas... heavy rain events of this
size may cause flooding in areas outside designated flood
zones. Storm total rainfall amounts are forecast to be between
10 and 15 inches. Low spots in roads can become dangerous and
impassable due to severe runoff. High amounts of debris in
streams and gulches may clog bridges and culverts resulting in
dangerous flooding which could occur outside the normal
channels... and could also lead to significant property damage.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is very dangerous.
You should monitor later forecasts and get prepared for flash
flooding this weekend. Never drive into areas where water covers
the Road. Turn around... Don/T drown.
Tropical Storm Warning
Statement as of 6:44 PM HST on July 22, 2016
Expires 11:00 AM EDT on July 23, 2016
... Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect...
... Precautionary/preparedness actions...
Secure outdoor objects which can be blown around and cause
additional damage. Tropical storms can bring very heavy rain
leading to flash flooding. People near streams... rivers... and low-
lying flood prone areas are urged to be especially alert to flash
based on the latest forecast track... tropical storm force winds
over 39 mph are expected to begin overspreading the area late this
evening. In some areas... winds will be as high as 40 to 50 mph
with gusts to 65 mph. Even higher gusts will be possible over
mountainous terrain... through passes... and where winds blow
Some loose outdoor items will be tossed around. Many power lines
may be knocked down... possibly resulting in extended power outages in
some areas. Many weaker trees such as albizia will be snapped
or uprooted. Some large branches of healthy trees will be snapped.
Most newly planted trees and shrubs will be damaged or uprooted.
Poorly constructed homes may sustain minor wall damage and
partial roof removal. Other homes may have minor roof and siding
... Inland flooding...
rain will start to overspread the windward side of The Big Island
before midnight... becoming heavy at times with heavier squalls and
embedded thunderstorms. Heavy rain at times will then continue into
Saturday and Saturday night. Storm total rainfall amounts of 10 to
15 inches could lead to significant flash flooding. Refer to the
Flash Flood Watch for more details.
... Storm surge and storm tide...
on east facing shores... surf of 15 to 25 feet is expected to continue.
This may cause significant wave runup and damage on some windward
coastal roads. Refer to the high surf warning for more details.
... Probability of tropical storm/hurricane conditions...
the chance for damaging tropical storm conditions at Hilo is 71
percent... 62 percent at Bradshaw Field... 35 percent at South Point...
and 49 percent at Kailua-Kona.
- Alabama - Heat Advisory
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Heat Advisory, Excessive Heat Watch , Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- District of Columbia - Heat Advisory
- Indiana - Dense Fog Advisory, Heat Advisory , Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Kansas - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Louisiana - Heat Advisory
- Maryland - Heat Advisory , Heat Advisory, Excessive Heat Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Michigan - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory
- Missouri - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Nebraska - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- Nevada - Record Report
- New York - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- North Carolina - Air Quality Alert
- North Dakota - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Ohio - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Excessive Heat Watch , Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- South Dakota - Flash Flood Warning , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Heat Advisory
- Wisconsin - Flash Flood Watch , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report