Current Watches and Warnings
Hawaii, Big Island Interior
Flash Flood Warning
Statement as of 3:03 AM HST on July 24, 2016
Expires 12:30 PM EDT on July 24, 2016
The National Weather Service in Honolulu has extended the
* Flash Flood Warning for...
the island of Hawaii in Hawaii County
* until 630 am HST
* at 303 am HST... radar indicated moderate to heavy rain continuing
across the Kau district and South Point area of The Big Island.
Hawaii County civil defense reports that Highway 11 remains closed
at mile marker 59 near kawa flats due to flooding. A stream gauge
on Paauau Gulch has recently recorded a sharp rise in water
level... and flash flooding is likely occurring in the Pahala...
Wood Valley and Kapapala areas. Rainfall rates of 1 to 2 inches
per hour are likely to continue across the warning area during the
next few hours... which will further aggravate ongoing flooding
* Locations in the warning include but are not limited to...
Hawaiian Paradise Park... Naalehu... Hawaiian Ocean View... Pahoa...
Pahala... Glenwood... Hawaiian acres and kawa flats.
A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding in imminent or occurring in
streams... roads... and low lying areas. Move to higher ground now.
Do not cross fast flowing water in your vehicle... or on foot. Turn
around... Don/T drown.
This warning may need to be extended beyond 630 am HST if heavy rain
Lat... Lon 1897 15572 1903 15588 1909 15591 1963 15545
1957 15490 1953 15481 1948 15482 1934 15499
1927 15516 1927 15529 1921 15536 1913 15551
1899 15559 1891 15568
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 3:32 AM HST on July 24, 2016
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through this afternoon...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* The Big Island.
* Through this afternoon
* rain bands around Tropical Storm Darby will continue to bring
frequent showers and isolated thunderstorms along with periods
of heavy rainfall and flash flooding through this afternoon.
Additional rainfall amounts of 3 to 5 inches... with isolated
amounts up to 8 inches in higher terrain... are possible.
* In addition to flood prone areas... heavy rain events of this
size may cause flooding in areas outside designated flood
zones. Low spots in roads can become dangerous and impassable
due to severe runoff. High amounts of debris in streams and
gulches may clog bridges and culverts resulting in dangerous
flooding which could occur outside the normal channels... and
could also lead to significant property damage.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is very dangerous.
You should monitor later forecasts and get prepared for flash
flooding this weekend. Never drive into areas where water covers
the Road. Turn around... Don/T drown.
Tropical Storm Warning
Statement as of 12:01 AM HST on July 24, 2016
Expires 2:15 PM EDT on July 24, 2016
... Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect...
... Precautionary/preparedness actions...
Everyone should now be inside. Remain alert and away from windows
and external doors.
Tropical storms can bring very heavy rain leading to flash
flooding. People near streams... rivers... and low- lying flood
prone areas are urged to be especially alert to flash flooding.
... Inland flooding...
passing rainbands will bring periods of showers. There is a chance
for intense downpours or thunderstorms to develop early this
morning... mainly near The Big Island and Maui County... and then
spreading to Oahu and Kauai later Sunday. If heavier storms
develop... they could cause significant flash flooding. Additional
rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches with local amounts up to 15
inches are expected with Tropical Storm Darby. This would yield
isolated total rainfall amounts of up to 25 inches for The Big
Island. For Maui County islands... storm totals up to 5 to 10
inches with isolated amounts of 15 inches are expected. On
Oahu... 3 to 5 inches with isolated totals of 10 inches are
expected. Kauai County islands may see rainfall totals of 3 to 5
inches. See the Flash Flood Watch for more details.
localized damaging winds of 30 to 40 mph can be expected with
Darby... along with gusts of 50 to 60 mph or greater. These winds
are most likely over mountainous terrain... through passes...
and to the west or southwest of the mountains where winds will
be blowing downslope.
Loose items... such as garbage cans and outdoor furniture... will
be blown around. Newly planted or Young trees and shrubs may be
uprooted if not secured properly. Isolated power outages will be
... Storm surge and storm tide...
surf along east facing shores of The Big Island and Maui will be
15 to 20 feet... lowering to 10 to 15 feet on Sunday. Surf along
east facing shores of Kauai... Oahu... and Molokai will be 10 to 14
feet... lowering to 6 to 9 feet on Sunday. See the high surf
product for more details.
... Probability of tropical storm/hurricane conditions...
tropical storm conditions have been occurring on The Big
Island and over Maui County. The chance for tropical storm
conditions is 41 percent at Honolulu... 41 percent at joint based
Pearl Harbor hickam... 48 percent at Lihue and 40 percent at
Niihau. Wind conditions will continue to improve on The Big Island
through this morning.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Florida - Areal Flood Advisory
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Louisiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- Nebraska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Excessive Heat Watch , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- New York - Excessive Heat Watch , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Ohio - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Heat Advisory
- West Virginia - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Areal Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement