Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:16 AM CDT on July 01, 2016
Expires 7:00 PM EDT on July 01, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* location... northeast Illinois beaches.
* Forecast wave heights... 5 to 7 ft.
* Strong rip currents and structural currents expected.
Life threatening waves and currents are expected at the beaches.
People visiting the beaches should stay out of the water.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you into deeper water along the pier structure.
Exposed beaches are more likely to experience the most
significant wave and current impacts. Impacts at beaches with
protective breakwalls or jetties will be subject to the
orientation of structures as well as wind and wave direction.
For information on swim advisories or bans at Chicago beaches
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- California - Flash Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Missouri - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Record Report
- Nevada - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning
- New York - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Watch / Flood Statement
- South Carolina - Areal Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Flash Flood Watch
- Virginia - Special Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report