Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:04 AM CDT on July 30, 2016
Expires 5:00 AM EDT on July 31, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through late
* location... northeast Illinois beaches.
* Forecast wave heights... 3 to 5 feet.
* Strong rip currents and structural currents expected.
Life threatening waves and currents are expected at the beaches.
People visiting the beaches should stay out of the water.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you into deeper water along the pier structure.
Exposed beaches are more likely to experience the most
significant wave and current impacts. Impacts at beaches with
protective breakwalls or jetties will be subject to the
orientation of structures as well as wind and wave direction.
For information on swim advisories or bans at Chicago beaches
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- California - Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Air Quality Alert , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Michigan - Areal Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Montana - Fire Weather Watch
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Ohio - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Public Information Statement
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report