Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 6:53 PM CDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on October 23, 2017
... Multiple windy days with high fire danger then turning sharply
colder late this week...
Windy conditions will occur several days this week... including
Monday... Tuesday... and Thursday. Northwest winds will be sustained
between 25 and 35 mph each day... with gusts around 45 mph at
times. Combined with very low relative humidity levels and recent
dry conditions... this will result in high fire danger Monday and
Tuesday for much of south central Nebraska and north central
A Fire Weather Watch has been posted Monday afternoon for
Furnas... Gosper... and Harlan counties in Nebraska... and
Phillips... Rooks... and Osborne counties in Kansas. These counties
and possibly others may be upgraded to a red flag warning for
tomorrow... and one may be required Tuesday as well.
In addition... a strong Canadian cold front will plunge through
the region Thursday... bringing the coldest air so far this fall.
High temperatures will be in the 40s for most or all of south
central Nebraska and north central Kansas Friday and Saturday.
Low temperatures will be at or below freezing three nights...
Thursday night through Saturday night... with widespread readings
in the 20s expected at sunrise Saturday. In fact... there is
potential that areas along and north of Interstate 80 may fall
into the teens that morning.
Please continue to monitor the latest forecasts from the National
Weather Service via our webpage or NOAA Weather Radio. Be prepared
for windy conditions... be careful with anything that could start a
fire... pull winter Coats out of storage for later this week... and
be sure your furnace is ready for use.
Fire Weather Watch
Statement as of 2:46 PM CDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on October 23, 2017
... Fire Weather Watch in effect from Monday afternoon through
Monday evening for wind and low relative humidity for fire
weather zones 005, 017, 018, 072, 082 and 083...
The National Weather Service in Hastings has issued a Fire
Weather Watch for wind and low relative humidity, which is in
effect from Monday afternoon through Monday evening.
* Affected area... in Kansas, fire weather zone 005 Phillips,
fire weather zone 017 Rooks and fire weather zone 018 Osborne.
In Nebraska, fire weather zone 072 Gosper, fire weather zone
082 Furnas and fire weather zone 083 Harlan.
* Winds... northwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.
* Timing... Monday afternoon and early evening.
* Relative humidity... as low as 20 percent.
* Impacts... any fires that occur may spread rapidly and be
difficult to contain. Use caution if engaging in activities that
could ignite a fire.
A Fire Weather Watch means that critical fire weather conditions
are forecast to occur. Listen for later forecasts and possible
red flag warnings.
- Alabama - Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- California - Wind Advisory, Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory, Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Heat Advisory, Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory, Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement, Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Guam - High Surf Warning, High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , High Wind Watch
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois -
- Indiana -
- Iowa - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning
- Massachusetts -
- Michigan - Areal Flood Watch , Record Report
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - High Wind Warning , High Wind Warning, Lake Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Nevada -
- New Mexico -
- New York -
- North Carolina -
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Ohio -
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania -
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Warning
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , High Wind Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Virginia -
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement