Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 10:31 AM EDT on August 23, 2017
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on August 23, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect until 6 PM EDT this
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions include...
North Beach in South Haven... Holland State Park... Muskegon
State Park... Mears State Park in Pentwater... Stearns Park in
* Overview/potential impacts... northwest winds of 15 to 25 mph
into early this afternoon will turning to the north by mid
afternoon and slowly diminishing to 10 to 20 mph by late this
afternoon. Waves of 3 to 5 today will subside to 2 to 4 feet by
Sunset. North sides of north piers will be dangerous places to
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Public Information Statement
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Watch
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Hawaii - Special Statement
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning
- Illinois - Flood Advisory
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Montana - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Flood Warning
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Flood Warning , Lakeshore Flood Warning, Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Ohio - Beach Hazard Statement
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Pennsylvania - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Hurricane Watch , UNKNOWN Watch, Hurricane Watch , Tropical Storm Watch , UNKNOWN Watch, Tropical Storm Watch , Hurricane Statement , Flood Warning , Hurricane Watch, UNKNOWN Watch
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement