Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:13 AM EDT on June 28, 2017
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on June 29, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from 8 am EDT this
morning through Thursday afternoon...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions include... South
Beach in South Haven... Grand Haven State Park... Pere Marquette
Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south winds of 20 to 30 mph will
generate waves to 4 to 7 feet north of Holland today and waves
of 2 to 5 feet south of Holland. The most dangerous conditions
will be on the south side of pier structures. Conditions will
continue to be hazardous through Thursday morning, before winds
and waves diminish Thursday afternoon.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alabama - Flood Warning
- Alaska - Wind Advisory
- Arizona - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- California - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Colorado - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Nevada - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Mexico -
- North Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning
- Wisconsin - Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning