Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:03 AM EDT on August 18, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on August 18, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today include
Stearns Park in Ludington... Mears State Park in Pentwater...
Muskegon State Park... Holland State Park... and North Beach in
* Overview/potential impacts... northwest winds of 15 t0 25 mph
and waves of 5 to 7 feet are expected today. North sides of
north piers will be dangerous places to swim.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- California - Record Report
- Colorado -
- Delaware - Flash Flood Watch
- District of Columbia - Coastal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory
- Florida - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois -
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Kansas - Areal Flood Advisory
- Kentucky - Areal Flood Advisory
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Maine - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Flash Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri -
- Montana - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning
- Nevada -
- New Jersey - Flash Flood Watch
- New Mexico -
- New York - Beach Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- North Dakota - Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Ohio - Beach Hazard Statement
- Oklahoma - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Oregon - Air Quality Alert
- Pennsylvania - Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory
- Tennessee - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Coastal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- - Small Craft Advisory