Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 9:49 PM EDT on June 30, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through Friday
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions on Friday
North Beach in South Haven... Holland State Park... Muskegon State
Park... Mears State Park in Pentwater... Stearns Park in Ludington.
* Overview/potential impacts... winds will become north/northwest
overnight tonight and increase to 15 to 25 mph. Waves will
build to 3 to 6 feet by daybreak Friday morning. Winds and
waves will continue through Friday... and diminish Friday
evening. These conditions will produce very dangerous
currents... especially on the north side of piers and
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Alaska - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Arizona - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Dust Storm Warning , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Arkansas - Special Statement
- California - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Montana - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Nebraska - Flash Flood Warning
- Nevada - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Record Report
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Advisory
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Flash Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement