Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:35 AM EDT on August 24, 2016
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on August 25, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through late
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from South Haven to Manistee.
Beaches on the south side of piers will be particularly
dangerous. This includes Grand Haven State Park and Pere
Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south winds of to 15 to 25 knots
will continue into this evening. This will cause waves of 3 to 6
feet into this evening.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Air Quality Alert
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Iowa - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Areal Flood Advisory
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Record Report
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Oregon - Record Report
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Virgin Islands - Flash Flood Watch
- Washington - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement, Special Statement , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement