Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Robeson
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 9:28 PM EDT on May 05, 2016
... Tornado confirmed near Wilmington in New Hanover County North
Location... Wilmington in New Hanover County North Carolina
date... may 5 2016
estimated time... 2:28 PM EDT
maximum ef-scale rating... EF1
estimated maximum wind speed... 95 mph
maximum path width... 75 yards
path length... 1.75 miles
* fatalities... 0
* injuries... 1
* the information in this statement is preliminary and subject to
change pending final review of the event(s) and publication in
NWS storm data.
the National Weather Service in Wilmington NC has confirmed a
tornado near Wilmington in New Hanover County North Carolina on
may 5 2016.
The tornado initially touched down in the landfall community near
arboretum drive and fair lakes drive around 228 PM EDT. It moved
northeast and caused areas of concentrated damage along a 1.75 mile
path... indicating The Funnel was not in contact with the ground the
entire time... but likely lifted and touched back down a few
In the landfall community... extensive damage was done to
approximately 30 trees along fair lakes drive... Marshland
drive... inverary way and Dundee lakes place. A few trees up to two
feet in diameter were snapped off... and numerous trees were
uprooted. Several large tree limbs were blown out of trees and
caused damage to one home on Dundee lakes place.
The tornado crossed Howe creek and produced significant damage to
approximately two dozen trees in the Timber Creek neighborhood. The
tops of several trees were snapped off... and many were uprooted. One
injury was reported in Timber Creek as a result of falling limbs.
Minor shingle and facia damage was noted on one home.
The tornado then crossed Middle Sound loop Road and caused extensive
damage to numerous trees and several homes on Wellington drive and
east Bedford Road. Dozens of trees up to two feet in diameter were
uprooted or snapped. A large snapped Pine Tree fell through the roof
of a home on east Bedford. At approximately 235 PM EDT The Funnel
lifted near the intersection of east Bedford Road and Middle Sound
Beginning latitude: 34.2506 N
beginning longitude: -77.8175 W
Ending latitude: 34.2689 N
ending longitude: -77.7951 W
This information can also be found on our website at
For reference... the Enhanced Fujita scale classifies tornadoes
into the following categories:
EF0... wind speeds 65 to 85 mph.
EF1... wind speeds 86 to 110 mph.
EF2... wind speeds 111 to 135 mph.
EF3... wind speeds 136 to 165 mph.
EF4... wind speeds 166 to 200 mph.
EF5... wind speeds greater than 200 mph.
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Coastal Flood Warning
- District of Columbia - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Florida - Coastal Flood Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Warning, Coastal Flood Advisory
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Nevada - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- New York - Coastal Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory
- North Carolina - Coastal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Record Report
- Oregon - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Flood Warning
- Texas - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Virginia - Coastal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Watch , Record Report