Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Southern Nassau
Winter Storm Watch
Statement as of 3:34 AM EST on January 31, 2015
Expires 6:00 PM EST on February 02, 2015
... Winter Storm Watch in effect from Sunday evening through
The National Weather Service in New York has issued a Winter
Storm Watch... which is in effect from Sunday evening through
* Locations... metropolitan northeast New Jersey... New York City
and Long Island.
* Hazard types... snow with a period of freezing rain and sleet.
* Accumulations... snow accumulation of 5 to 10 inches... along
with less than a tenth of an inch of ice.
* Winds... northeast 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.
* Temperatures... in the mid 20s to the mid 30s.
* Visibilities... one quarter to one half mile at times.
* Timing... Sunday night and Monday.
* Impacts... hazardous travel is expected.
A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.
Statement as of 5:46 AM EST on January 31, 2015
Expires 10:00 AM EST on January 31, 2015
... Wind Advisory remains in effect until 10 am EST this morning...
* locations... southeast New York... northeast New Jersey and
* Hazards... strong winds.
* Winds... northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts 45 to 50 mph.
* Timing... early this morning.
* Impacts... the strong winds may down some tree limbs and power
lines... and make driving high profile vehicles difficult...
especially on elevated roadways and bridges.
A Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds of 31 to 39 mph...
or gusts of 46 to 57 mph... are expected or occurring. Winds this
strong can make driving difficult... especially for high profile
vehicles. Use extra caution.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:49 AM EST on January 31, 2015
... Winter storm preparedness information...
A Winter Storm Watch has been posted for the tri-state area. This
means hazardous winter weather conditions... such as heavy snow or
ice may affect the area in the next 24 to 48 hours... but its
occurrence... location and timing are still uncertain.
Stay tuned to NOAA all hazards weather radio... your local
media... or visit our web site at... weather.Gov/NYC as this watch
may be upgraded to a warning.
Before the storm strikes... be prepared.
At home or work the following items should to be available...
* flashlights and extra batteries.
* Canned food and a manual opener... bottled water and essential
* A first aid kit.
* Sufficient heating fuel.
* A working fire extinguisher and smoke alarm.
* Salt and sand.
* A battery powered radio.
Make sure your pets have plenty of food... water and shelter.
Make sure your vehicle is fully checked and winterized. Carry a
winter storm survival kit including blankets... cell phone... a
flashlight with extra batteries... a shovel and a map.
If you become stranded in your vehicle... ensure the tail pipe is
clear... then stay inside... run the engine 10 minutes each hour for
heat... keep your window open to avoid Carbon monoxide
poisoning... and from time to time exercise body parts to keep
blood circulating and to keep warm. Tie a colored cloth to your
If caught outside... try to stay dry and cover exposed body parts.
For additional information on preparing for winter storms... please
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Watch
- California - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Illinois - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Indiana - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch
- Iowa - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Winter Storm Watch
- Michigan - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Advisory
- Missouri - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Montana - Winter Weather Advisory
- Nebraska - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Wind Chill Advisory , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- North Carolina - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Storm Warning
- Oregon - Dense Fog Advisory, Air Stagnation Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory
- Rhode Island - Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch
- South Dakota - Winter Weather Advisory
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning
- West Virginia - Winter Storm Watch
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Public Information Statement