Current Watches and Warnings
South Carolina, Inland Colleton
Flash Flood Warning
Statement as of 10:07 PM EDT on April 18, 2014
Expires 11:30 PM EDT on April 18, 2014
... A Flash Flood Warning remains in effect until 1130 PM EDT for
eastern Beaufort... southeastern Colleton... southeastern Berkeley...
Charleston and southeastern Dorchester counties...
At 956 PM EDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar continued to
indicate a persistent band of moderate to heavy rain pushing onshore
into southeast South Carolina... moving north at 35 mph. Flash
flooding had already closed several roads in downtown Charleston.
Rainfall rates occasionally exceeding 2 inches per hour will produce
additional flash flooding across the warning area including downtown
Charleston this evening.
Flash flooding is expected in and around Awendaw... downtown
Charleston... College Park... Daniel Island... Edisto Beach... Folly
Beach... Goose Creek... Hanahan... Hilton Head Island... Hollywood...
James Island... Johns Island... Kiawah Island... McClellanville... Mount
Pleasant... North Charleston... Port Royal... Seabrook Island... west
Ashley and Beaufort.
Water depth is nearly impossible to determine at night. Do not
attempt to cross water on the roadway even if it appears shallow.
Find an alternate Route. A short delay in your travel plans is better
than losing your car... or your life.
High tide will inhibit runoff of heavy rain... and flash flooding
will continue to inundate some roads in downtown Charleston. Areas
most prone to flooding include the Market... Crosstown... East Bay
street and Morrison drive.
Lat... Lon 3300 7936 3303 7953 3280 7973 3277 7992
3268 7988 3261 7999 3245 8036 3250 8035
3249 8047 3231 8043 3226 8065 3225 8063
3212 8079 3266 8080 3328 7960 3314 7927
Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory
Statement as of 10:05 PM EDT on April 18, 2014
938 PM EDT Fri Apr 18 2014
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect until 6 am EDT Saturday...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* portions of southeast Georgia and southeast South Carolina...
including the following areas... in southeast Georgia...
Bulloch... Candler... coastal Bryan... coastal Chatham... coastal
Liberty... coastal McIntosh... Effingham... Evans... inland
Bryan... inland Chatham... inland Liberty... inland McIntosh...
Jenkins... long... Screven and Tattnall. In southeast South
Carolina... Allendale... Beaufort... Charleston... coastal
Colleton... coastal Jasper... Dorchester... Hampton... inland
Berkeley... inland Colleton... inland Jasper and tidal Berkeley.
* Until 6 am EDT Saturday
* widespread rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches with local
amounts exceeding 5 inches are expected through tonight. Of
significant concern is the fact that torrential rainfall is
expected late this evening around the time of an above normal
high tide. This could result in significant flooding concerns
in coastal low- lying areas including downtown Charleston and
* Flooding could occur quickly... especially in low-lying and
poor drainage areas. Driving could become hazardous as some
area roadways could become impassable due to high water...
especially in urban areas like downtown Charleston and
Savannah around the time of high tide.
Be prepared to protect life and property... especially in areas
prone to flooding. If flooding develops... move to higher ground
immediately. If driving... be prepared for flooded roadways and
possible Road closures.
The National Weather Service in Charleston has issued a
* Flood Advisory for minor flooding of poor drainage areas in...
Berkeley County in southeast South Carolina...
Colleton County in southeast South Carolina...
Dorchester County in southeast South Carolina...
* until 1230 am EDT
* at 930 PM EDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated
moderate to heavy rain across central and northern sections of
Colleton... Dorchester and Berkeley counties... moving north at
Rainfall rates occasionally exceeding one inch per hour will
contribute to standing water on roads and minor flooding of poor
drainage areas through at least 1230 am EDT.
* Locations in the advisory include but are not limited to...
Ritter... Neyles... Old Cordesville... Oakley... Old Santee Canal State
Park... Whitesville... Summerville Airport... Berkeley County
Airport... Givhans Ferry State Park... Sugar Hill...
A Flash Flood Watch remains in effect for the area. If heavier rain
develops... flash flood warnings could be required.
When driving at night... flooding is nearly impossible to see. If your
car loses traction when driving through ponded water... avoid rapid
braking or steering. Traction should resume shortly. Avoid driving
through water of unknown depth. Only one foot of water can stall a
vehicle. When encountering flooded roads make the smart choice... turn
around... dont drown.
Lat... Lon 3302 8012 3301 8017 3299 8017 3268 8078
3272 8085 3284 8090 3303 8108 3310 8094
3307 8090 3314 8088 3333 8051 3326 8044
3327 8030 3330 8026 3345 8022 3345 8015
3350 8013 3350 7997 3332 7974 3328 7960
- Alabama - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Flood Warning
- District of Columbia - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch, Coastal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Hazard Statement , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Record Report
- Massachusetts - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- New York - Flood Warning
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - High Surf Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch, Coastal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Flood Warning
- Virginia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Public Information Statement