Current Watches and Warnings
Wind Chill Advisory
Statement as of 3:34 AM EST on December 12, 2017
Expires 9:00 AM EST on December 13, 2017
... Wind Chill Advisory in effect from midnight tonight to 9 am
* what... very cold wind chills expected. The cold wind chills
will cause frostbite in as little as 30 minutes to exposed
skin. Expect wind chills to range from 5 above zero to 5 below
* Where... portions of southwest and west central Virginia,
northwest North Carolina and southeast West Virginia.
* When... from midnight tonight to 9 am EST Wednesday.
* Additional details... northwest winds will also be gusting as
high as 45 mph, especially this evening. Around an inch or less
of snow will be possible with isolated 2 inch amounts along the
A Wind Chill Advisory means that cold air and the wind will
combine to create low wind chills. Frost bite and hypothermia can
occur if precautions are not taken. Make sure you wear a hat and
The public is encouraged to report snowfall amounts or wind
damage to the National Weather Service via email at
rnk.Skywarn@noaa.Gov... through facebook or twitter... or by calling
1... 8 6 6... 2 1 5... 4 3 2 4. Pictures are greatly appreciated.
Statement as of 3:37 AM EST on December 12, 2017
Expires 7:00 AM EST on December 13, 2017
... Wind Advisory remains in effect until 7 am EST Wednesday...
* locations... along and adjacent to the Blue Ridge.
* Hazards... strong wind gusts.
* Winds... northwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph.
* Timing... this morning through early Wednesday morning. The
strongest winds will occur late this afternoon and evening.
* Impacts... traveling will be difficult for higher profile
vehicles. Some weaker or dead trees could be uprooted, with
limbs also likely to break. Isolated power outages possible.
A Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds are forecast to be
31 to 39 mph or gusts will range between 46 and 57 mph. Winds of
these magnitudes may cause minor property damage without extra
precautions. Motorists in high profile vehicles should use extra
caution until the winds subside.
The public is encouraged to report wind damage to the National
Weather Service via email at rnk.Skywarn@noaa.Gov... through
facebook or twitter... or by calling 1... 8 6 6... 2 1 5... 4 3 2 4.
Pictures are greatly appreciated.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Winter Weather Advisory
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Freeze Watch
- Georgia - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Freeze Watch
- Idaho - Dense Fog Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois -
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning
- Maryland - Wind Chill Advisory, Winter Weather Advisory
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Advisory
- Minnesota - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Missouri -
- Montana - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Special Statement
- New Hampshire - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- New Mexico -
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Ohio - Lake Effect Snow Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Winter Weather Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Warning , Special Statement
- Rhode Island - Winter Weather Advisory
- South Carolina - Lake Wind Advisory
- South Dakota - High Wind Watch
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning
- Utah - Record Report
- Vermont - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Washington - Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- - Gale Warning